Tuesday 22 June 2010

Green Mango Delusions









Little droplets of sweet chutney
Dribble down my chin.


Thin slices encrusted with red chilli 
Burn their fiery way down my gullet


Chunks of fruit in a chicken and coconut curry
Do a little pirouette across my dinner plate. 


Roasted with a dash of spice, water and ice
It makes me swoon in sheer delirium.


You lie scattered all over my backyard on little squares of yesterday’s news
The jars of golden oil remind me of magical Arabian nights and forty broiled thieves
The process of pickling has begun.


I trap your memory in muslin-covered bottles.
Chase your shadow in candy bars, essences and fruit leathers.
Invoke your spirit with soaps, perfumes and aerated drinks. 


When the summer has receded into the innermost whorls of the last autumn flower.
I take that last bit of pickle from the jar
And close my eyes to share the delusions
Of mad dogs and Englishmen who go out in the midday sun. 




5 comments:

  1. Lovely, lovely. Ah, these whimsy summer days...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sigh!! Reminds me of summer afternoons and mango trees. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful writing! We are so in love with mangoes!
    Thanks for sharing,
    Tes

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looked absolutely fabulous. We will need to check it out the next time we go down to new york! Moist quiche mmmmmmmm..

    Gourmet Free

    ReplyDelete